The historic building has accommodated a school for almost 200 years, making it one of the oldest schools in Haapsalu. The oldest part of the schoolhouse was built at the end of the 18th century, the newest part in 1928. The completely renovated school that re-opened in 2013 is now called Läänemaa Upper Secondary School; formerly, it was named in the honour of linguist and scientist F. J. Wiedemann.
Some years ago the schoolhouse got an extension – a sports hall, which is the most contemporary sports facility in town. One can cheer for their favourite team there, rent the gym for sport games, use the body building centre and the sauna. The building belongs in the National Registry of Cultural Monuments.