Vormsi, which is the fourth largest island in Estonia, is less than an hour from the mainland. It was named after the Icelandic Viking Orm (snake).
Until 1944, Vormsi was inhabited by coastal Swedes. In 1938, nearly 2,600 people lived there. Most left during the Second World War. The main route is a dust-free paved road. Its eastern and western parts are of equal length and it passes most villages of the coastal Swedes. The route is passable throughout the year and alternative routes are open from May to October.
Information on ferry departures is available here.